- An internationally recognised Professor of Operations and Technology Management.
- Professional engineer engaged in developing the profession and consulting.
- Many publications including highly cited articles in FT 40 ranked journals such as Journal of Operations Management, California Management Review, IEEE TEM, and International Journal of Operations and Production Management.
- Acknowledged expert on innovation, 3D printing, lean management, the application of bibliometric techniques, new product development, business start-ups.
SELECTED RECENT JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- M. Cuvero, R. Evans, A. Pilkington, M. Granados, “The Effects of Knowledge Spillovers and Accelerator Programmes on the Product Innovation of High-Tech Start-ups: A Multiple Case Study” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. (in press).
- Pilkington, and J. Meredith, Wake Forest University, “Assessing the Exchange of Knowledge Between Operations Management and other Fields: Some Challenges and Opportunities” Journal of Operations Management, (2018), Vol. 60, pp.47-53.
- A. Pilkington, and J. Meredith, "The diffusion network of research knowledge in operations management", International Journal of Operations & Production Management, (2018) Vol. 38 Issue: 2, pp.333-349.
- C. Kapetaniou, A. Rieple, A. Pilkington, T. Frandsen, and P. Pisano, “Building the layers of a manufacturing taxonomy: how 3D printing is creating a new landscape of production eco-systems and competitive dynamics,” Technology Forecasting and Social Change, (2018) Vol 128, pp. 22-35.
- K. Rost, T. Teichert, A. Pilkington, “Social Network Analytics for Advanced Bibliometrics: Referring to Actor Roles of Management Journals instead of Journal Rankings,” Scientometrics, (2017) Vol 112, No. 3, pp.1631-1657.
- I. Pedraza, A. Pilkington, and D. Barnes "Innovation and Supplier Selection: A Multi-Phase Process Model", Production Planning and Control, (2017) Vol 27, No. 9, pp.717-726.
- T. Lawton and A. Pilkington, “Divided by a Common Language? Transnational insights into epistemological and methodological approaches to strategic management research in English speaking countries,” Long Range Planning (2014) Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 299-311.
- L. Ciravegna, P. Romano, and A. Pilkington, “Lean outsourcing practices in automotive supply networks: an exploratory study of Full Service Vehicle suppliers,” International Journal of Production Research (2013), Vol. 51, No. 5, pp.2478-2490.
- E. Bernroider, A. Pilkington, and J.-R. Córdoba, “Research in information systems: a study of diversity and inter-disciplinary discourse in the AIS basket journals between 1995 and 2011,” Journal of Information Technology (2013) Vol. No. 28, pp. 74–89.
- A. Pilkington, and J. Meredith, Wake Forest University, “The Evolution of the Intellectual Structure of Operations Management—1980-2006: A Citation/Co-Citation Analysis,” Journal of Operations Management, (2009) Vol. 27, No. 3, pp.185-202.
- Pilkington and T. Daim (eds.) (2018), Innovation Discovery: Network Analysis of Research and Invention Activity for Technology Management, Imperial College Press, London.
- S. Paton, B. Clegg, J. Hsuan, and A. Pilkington, Operations Management, (2011), McGraw Hill, pp. 518.
SELECTED RECENT CONFERENCE PAPERS
- M. Cuvero, R. Evans, A. Pilkington, “A Knowledge Spillover-based Approach to New Product Conceptualization,” 2018 IEEE Technology and Engineering Management Conference, TEMSCON 2018, Evanston, USA, 27 June - 1 July 2018.
- J. Lundin, A. Wieland, A. Pilkington, “The Governance of 3D Printing Supply Chains: A Systematic Review,” NOFOMA 2018, Kolding, Denmark, 13-15 June 2018.
- C. Ennis, A. Pilkington, N. Barnett, S. De Cesare, R. Lander, “Industry 4.0: Business framework and model development for Service 4.0,” Spring Servitization Conference 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark, 14-16 May 2018.
- A. Pilkington, J. Hsuan, J. Raja, T. Fransden (CBS), “Servitization and the Wider Services Communities: a Bibliometric Study,” IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM), 10-13 December, 2017, Singapore.
- A. Pilkington, C. Kapetaniou, A. Rieple (WBS), T. Frandsen (CBS), P. Pisano (Uni Turin), “A Framework for 3d Printing,” Annual Conference of the European Operations Management Association, EurOMA, Edinburgh, UK, 26 June – 1 July, 2017.
- C. Kapetaniou, A. Rieple (WBS), A. Pilkington, T. Frandsen (CBS), P. Pisano "Building the layers of a manufacturing taxonomy." AoM (Academy of Management Annual Meeting), August 4-8 in Atlanta, Georgia, 2017.
- H.-J. Bruns, M. Christensen, A. Pilkington, “The intellectual heritage(s) of public sector accounting research: Stepping back when going forward,” Comparative International Governmental Accounting Research Network (CIGAR) Conference, Porto, 8-9 June 2017.
- A. Pilkington, T. Fransden and M. Rehnberg (CBS), Beyond the Obvious: A Framework for Exploiting the Impact of Additive Manufacturing', IEEM, Singapore 6-9 December 2015.
- A. Pilkington, Kahhin Chai, and Yang Le, (NUS, Singapore), “Project Management: the Emergence of a Knowledge-based Discipline,” Annual Conference of the European Operations Management Association, EurOMA, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, 26 June – 1 July, 2015.
- A. Pilkington, J. Hsuan, J. Raja, T. Fransden (CBS), 'Locating Servitization within the Wider Services Communities: A Bibliometric Approach', 22nd Innovation & Product Development Management Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 14-16 June 2015.
- A. Pilkington, M. Christensen (Southern Cross University) and H-J Bruns (Hanover), “Re-Invention by public sector accounting research? Stepping back when going forward,” IRSPM Conference 30 March to 1st April, 2015, Birmingham, UK.
- A. Pilkington, T. Frandsen (CBS), “Exposing Disruptive Technologies: 3d Printing," International Competitiveness Management Conference, Copenhagen, January 2015.
- A. Pilkington and C. Parisi (CBS), 'Tracing the Development of the Accounting Discipline: A Bibliometric Analysis,' 9th Conference on New Directions In Management Accounting, Brussels, December, 2014.
- A. Pilkington, and I. Pedraza (CBS), “Innovation during the Supplier Selection Process: A Novel Multi-Stage Process Case,” IEEE ICMIT 2014, Singapore, 2014.
- A. Pilkington, “Technology Management: A Comprehensive Bibliometric Analysis,” IEEE Technology Management Council Conference, IEEE TMC 2014, Chicago, 2014.
EDITORIAL BOARD AND JOURNAL/BOOK/RESEARCH GRANT REVIEWING ACTIVITIES
- Associate Editor: International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management
- Editorial Board Member: IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management
- Special Issue Editor: Bibliometrics and Social Network Analysis, International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, Vol. 14, Nos. 2 and 3.
Awards & Recognition
- Senior member IEEE
- Member IET
- Member EurOMA
- Fellow Higher Education Academy (UK)
Completed Research Supervision
He has supervised approximately 30 students to completion of Masters level dissertations. In addition, he has also supervised the following PhD/MPhil projects as supervisor or advisor/other role:
- Irma Makarainen-Suni, ‘Innovation in Startup Labs’ (part-time PhD, due for completion in 2020)
- Anne Krebs, ‘Accountable, Operable Knowledge’ (PhD)
- Ekoh West, ‘Mixed Method Longitudinal Exploratory Conceptualisation of Lean E-Supply Chain Management’ (MPhil, awarded in 2013)
- Kuo Feng Huang, ‘Developing a Resource-Market Matrix for the Taiwanese ICT Industry’ (Doctorate, awarded in 2005)