Areas of expertise
- International Studies
- Business-Government Relations
- International Political Economy
- Political Economy of Development
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, D.C., USA, 2002
- Ph.D., International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 2000
- M.Phil., International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India, 1994
- M.A., Political Science, Bangalore University, 1991
- B.A., Political Science, Economics, Sociology, Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, India, 1989
- C. R. Parekh Fellow, Asia Research Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, 2005
- Fulbright Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, Harvard University and University of California, Berkeley, USA, 1989-99
- Junior and Senior Research Fellowship and NET, University Grants Commission, India, 1992-98
- Assistant Professor and Manager, Quality Assurance, S P Jain School of Global Management (2015-current position)
- Adjunct Faculty, Symbiosis Institute of International Business, Pune, India (2011-2014)
- Visiting Faculty, Alliance for Global Education, Pune, India (2009-11)
- Lecturer, Department of Political Science, University of Pune, India, (2004-2009).
- Visiting Research Associate, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India, 2002-2004.
- Assistant Editor, Economic and Political Weekly, Mumbai, India, (1999).
- Research Assistant, National Working Group on Patent Laws, New Delhi, India, (1997).
- Editor, IPRs Section, World Trade Scanner, New Delhi, India, (1997).
- Lecturer, Political Science, St. Josephs College, Bangalore, India, (1992).
- Consultant, Newspaper in Education, Times of India, Bangalore, India, (1992).
Graduate research instruction
- Doctoral Supervisor, MamtaViswanath and Seema Fernandes (2 students).
- M.A. Dissertation Supervisor, Mihir Datta, Ashwarya Jain, Garima Upadhyaya, Shantanu Ghosh, Iram Sana, Prasanna Busulu, Amrit Pathak, Govil Aggarwal, Ketan Sood, Naveen Kumar, Vibhu Anurag (11 students)
- “International objectives for adaptation, access and benefit sharing: Effects on the management of plant genetic resources in India and Nepal” 2012-2015. Co-ordinated by Fridtjof Nansen Institute (FNI) and South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment (SAWTEE).
- “A case study on access to and protection of aquaculture genetic resources in India” as part of the project on “Improved disease resistance of tiger shrimp and rohu carp farmed in India: Developing and implementing advanced molecular methods, and streamlining access to use of genetic resources” 2008-2012. Commissioned by Fridtjof Nansen Institute.
- “Farmers Rights in India: A Case Study” as part of the Farmer’s Rights Project. 2006. Commissioned by FNI.
- “India’s Policy on Bt Cotton: Farmer’s Role in Policy Making” Research Project granted by the Board of University and College Development, University of Pune, completed 2009.
Research & publication
- “Intellectual Property Rights, Access to Genetic Resources and Indian Shrimp Aquaculture: Evolving Policy Responses to Globalization” Journal of World Intellectual Property, vol. 18, no. 1-2, 2015, pp. 41-64.
- “Political Economy of India’s Foreign Policy on Intellectual Property Rights”, in Paranjape, Shrikant (ed),Understanding India’s Security and Foreign Policy in the Post Soviet Era, 2014.
- “Benefit Sharing and Development: Policy Options for India” Trade Insight, volume 9, no. 2, South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment (SAWTEE), Nepal, 2013, p. 30-32.
- “Access to Genetic Resources and Rings of Protection in Indian Shrimp Aquaculture” FNI Report 5/2012, Fridtjof Nansen Institute, Norway, February 2012.
- Winge, Tone, Regine Andersen and Anitha Ramanna Pathak, 'Combining Farmers’ Rights and Plant Variety Protection in Indian Law'. In Andersen, Regine and Tone Winge (eds), Realising Farmers' Rights to Crop Genetic Resources: Success Stories and Best Practices. Abingdon (UK), Routledge, 2013, pp. 54-61.
- “Public Access to Seeds and the Human Right to Adequate Food” (with Marc Cohen) in George Kent, ed., Global Obligations for the Human Right to Food, (Lanham, Maryland: Rowman and Littlefield) 2008 Pp. 161-190.
- “Global Convergence meets Local Divergence: Intellectual Property in Indian Seed Markets” with Jeroen van Wijk, Special Issue The Process of Innovation: The Asian Way, International Journal of Technology Management, vol. 39, no. 3/4, 2007 p. 264-78.
- “Intellectual Property Rights, Agriculture and Rural Communities”, Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 11 (4), November 2005, 423-430.
- “Bt Cotton and India's Policy on IPRs” Asian Biotechnology and Development Review, Special Issue on Biotechnology and Intellectual Property Rights Vol. 7 No 2 March 2005
- Intellectual Property Rights in South Asia: Opportunities and Constraints for Technology Transfer, with S. Udgaonkar in Babu S. and Gulati A. (eds), Economic Reforms and Food Security in South Asia: The Role of Trade and Technology, (New York: Haworth Press), 2005.
- Shifts in India’s Policy on Intellectual Property: The Role of Ideas, Coercion and Changing Interests, in Peter Drahos and Uma Suthersenen, eds., Death of a Patent System, Perspectives in Intellectual Property (London), 2005.
- “Rights and Access to Plant Genetic Resources Under India’s New Law” with Melinda Smale, Development Policy Review, 22, no. 4, 2004, p. 423-442.
- “IPRs and Agriculture: South Asian Concerns”, South Asia Economic Journal, vol. 4 no. 1, June 2003.
- “India’s Policy on Genetically Modified Crops” Working paper 15, Asia Research Centre, London School of Economics and Political Science 2006.
- “The Farmers Rights Project—Background Study 4 Farmers Rights in India: A Case Study”, FNI Report 6/2006 Commissioned by The Fridtjof Nansen Institute (FNI) Norway.
- “India’s Patent Policy and Political Economy of Development” Radhakrishna and Parikh, eds, India Development Report, 2003-2004, Sage, India, 2005.
- “India’s Plant Variety and Farmer’s Rights Legislation: Potential Impact on Stakeholder Access to Genetic Resources”, EPTD Discussion Paper, IFPRI, Washington, D.C. January 2003.
- “Interest Groups and Patent Reform in India” IGIDR Working Paper WP-2003-06, March 2004.
- “Policy Implications of India’s Patent Reforms: Patent Applications in the Post-1995 Era”, Economic and Political Weekly37(21): 2065-75, 2002.
- “India’s Policy on IPRs and Agriculture: Relevance of FAO’s New International Treaty”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 36, No. 51 (Dec. 22-28, 2001), pp. 4689-4692.
- “To Controversial Technology” Review of Seeds of Contention: World Hunger and the Global Controversy over GM Crops by Per Pinstrup-Anderson and EbbeSchioler, 2000, Economic and Political Weekly, vol. 39, May 15-21, 2004 15-21, 2004.
- Book Review, Ronald Cox and Daniel Skidmore-Hess, U S Politics and the Global Economy: Corporate Power, Conservative Shift (Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner, 1999), in Millennium Journal of International Studies, vol. 29, no. 1, 2000.
Selected conference presentations and lectures
- Ramanna-Pathak, Anitha, “National Contexts and Complexities” Presented at the Two-Day Regional Meeting on Conservation, Use and Exchange of Crop Genetic Resources: Promoting Regional Cooperation for a Food-Secure, Climate-Resilient South Asia
- 26-27 August 2015 Hotel Soaltee, Kathmandu, Nepal
- “Benefit Sharing and India’s Development Policy” presented at the National Consultation on Biodiversity and Intellectual Property: Policy Options for Implementing Access and Benefit Sharing in India, National Law University, New Delhi, January 29-30, 2015.
- “Politics of national implementation of global regimes: complexity, interplay and implications for benefit sharing in India” International Studies Association (ISA) Conference, New Orleans, USA, February 18-22, 2015
- “Benefit Sharing: A Comparative Analysis of the Politics of Development Strategies” in the American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C. August 28-31, 2014.
- “Political Economy of India’s Foreign Policy on Intellectual Property Rights”, in the Seminar on “Understanding India’s Security and Foreign Policy in the Post Soviet Era”, January 2-3, 2014, Yashwantrao Chavan National Centre for International Security and Defence Analysis (YC-NISDA), University of Pune.
- “Farmer’s Rights in India”, in the Regional Workshop on Farmer’s Rights, Agricultural Biodiversity and International Agreements, Organized by South East Asia Regional Initiatives for Community Empowerment (SEARICE) and National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute (NAFRI), Vientiane, Lao PDR, November 28-29, 2013.
- “Benefit Sharing in India: Brief Overview of Current Status” in Discussion programme on “Access and Benefit Sharing in Relation to Crop Genetic Resources”, Katmandu, Nepal August 5, 2013.
- “India and China's Policy on Genetically Modified Crops: Comparing Approaches to Sustainable Development”, in the International Conference on Sustainable Development- Challenges & Opportunities, Ness Wadia College of Commerce, Pune, India, January 17, 2013.
- “Access and protection of aquatic resources: the impact of global and national policies on India’s aquaculture sector”, in the seminar on Stimulating Sustainable Innovation in Aquaculture: Access and Protection of Aquatic Genetic Resources, Fridtjof Nansen Institute, Olso, Norway, September 5, 2011.
- Balancing Biodiversity, Access to Genetic Resources and Profits in India’s Shrimp SectorAsian-Pacific Aquaculture 2011, January 18-20, 2011, Cochin, Kerala, India.
- “Public Access to Seeds and the Human Right to Adequate Food”, at the Toda Annual Conference, June 25-27, 2006, Vancouver, Canada.
- “India’s Policy on IPRs and Plant Genetic Resources” presented at National Conference on Agrobiodiversity, National Biodiversity Authority, Chennai, February 14, 2006
- “India’s Policy on IPRs and Biodiversity” presented at the Symposium on National Biodiversity and Ecosystem Information Infrastructure: Challenges and Potentials, NCL, Pune Jan 30 – Feb 2, 2006.
- “Plant genetic resources for food and agriculture: Effects of multilateral agreements in developing countries: India’s Policy on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture” in absentia at the Diversities International Conference in Mexico, November 2005, at the symposium Implementing Multilateral Environmental Agreements on Biodiversity: Balancing Equity and Effectiveness
- “India’s Experience with Establishing Farmers’ Rights” Presented in the International Conference on Measures to Protect and Promote Farmers Rights (Art. 9 ITPGRFA), IOA, Florence, Italy, October 25-27, 2004.
- “Intellectual Property Rights, Agriculture and Rural Communities” presented at the Fifth International Symposium on the Future of Rural Peoples: Rural Economy, Healthy People, Environment, and Rural Communities Saskatoon, Canada October 19-23, 2003.
- “Global Political Economy of TRIPs Negotiations” presented at International Conference on “Moving Forward from Cancun: The Global Governance of Trade, Environment and Sustainable Development” Berlin, Germany 30-31 October 2003.
- “Intellectual Property and Agriculture: India’s Law on Breeders’ and Farmers’ Rights” at the College of Biotechnology University of Saskatchewan, Canada October 21, 2003
- “Intellectual Property and Agriculture: India’s Law on Breeders’ and Farmers’ Rights” at the German Institute for Economic Research, Berlin, Germany October 31, 2003
- “Intellectual Property Rights and Agriculture: South Asian Concerns” presented and at the Moa, Bhutan-World Bank Institute-IFPRI workshop on "Trade Policy, WTO, and South Asian Agriculture". South Asia Initiative Para, Bhutan, November 26-30, 2002
- “IPRs and Agriculture: South Asian Concerns” presented at The Regional Conference on Globalization and Agriculture: Challenges for South Asia New Delhi 4-5 December 2002 Organized jointly by Research and Information System for the Non-aligned and Other Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi and the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS), Colombo, in collaboration with the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), Washington, DC.
- “India’s Patent Policy and Negotiations in TRIPs: Future Options for India and other Developing Countries”, presented at the National Conference on TRIPs: Next Agenda for Developing Countries, Hyderabad, India, and October 11-12, 2002.
- “Global Agribusiness and IPRs: Implications for India’s Policy” presented at the International Conference on Health Care and Food: Challenges of Intellectual Property Rights, Biosafety and Bioethics New Delhi, Organized by National Institute of Science Technology and Development Studies, Supported by Third World Academy of Sciences, Commonwealth Science Council and Food and Agricultural Organization, December 1-5, 2002.
- Occasional Reviewer for: Sage; International Journal of Intellectual Property Management; CAPRI (Programme on Collective Action and Property Rights); Journal of Development Studies.
- Selected as a member of the Pro Bono Legal Expert Group for the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF) and was part of the meetings of the GBIF held in Copenhagen, 18-19 September, 2006.
- Co-organizer, International Conference on Trade, Markets and Sustainability, Trade Track, February 22-23, 2013, Symbiosis Institute of International Business, , Pune, India.
- Co-organizer, International Relations Conference on India and Development Partnerships in Asia and Africa: Towards a New Paradigm, Track on Role of Indian Universities in Capacity Building in Asia and Africa, December 14-15, 2013, Symbiosis International University, Lavale Pune.
- Internal Expert, Sub-committee on International Business for Curriculum Development, Symbiosis International University.
- Organized with Yogesh Pai, National Consultation on Biodiversity and Intellectual Property: Policy Options for Implementing Access and Benefit Sharing in India January 29-30, 2015 National Law University, Sector 14, Dwarka, New Delhi, India. Organized by: Fridtjof Nansen Institute, Norway and National Law University, New Delhi
- Organized Panel presentation on “International regimes governing genetic resources: Complexity, interplay and implications for domestic implementation” at the International Studies Association Conference to be held February 18 -21, 2015, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Member, International Studies Association.
- Voluntary work in Sumangali Seva Ashram, an Orphanage for girls in India, where I taught English for two years
- Assisted in organizing various programs for street children for the Movement for Alternatives and Youth Awareness, a non-governmental organization in India working with homeless children
- Member of the National Service Scheme, an association promoting social service among students. Activities included voluntary work in an old age home, cancer hospital and participation in several national camps in rural areas and villages in India